Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ethics in Education

In this article Jeremy Moss is discussing the many viewpoints on censorship on the Internet. He explains how TV and Internet are not viewed the same when it come to the restrictions they put on the ages of who can and cannot view the materials that they display. He also gives view points on how censorship can be viewed private v public Internet access and how some feel that this could lead to upset co-workers, or simply is just wrong! Mr. Moss the writer of this article did a few case studies where he showed different scenario's that gave views on areas such as a student doing a research project on the war and the making of bombs, the second was a student that was doing a project on musicians and how they are positive role models, and the last case study was done on Alexis a 21 year old that goes by the rules of the work place and does not surf violent porn at the job place but enjoys doing this when at home.
I feel that censorship should be taken seriously due to the fact that it is too easy to type something into a Internet search engine and who knows what will pop up. I am a mother of 2 small boys and I watch everything they do but now days not all parents stay up on what their kids are doing on a day to day basis. I feel that there is a fine line with censorship as a whole. It really depends on what you are wanting to protect and who you are protecting it from... Meaning, that if you are doing a history report on the war and the true known artifacts then fine, but if you are surfing the net looking for cheap thrills, rent a movie! Kids are innocent and should be protected!

3 comments:

Tera Mohler-Troup said...

I forgot to add links... If you would like addtional info regarding censorship on the Internet, you can check out these sites:

www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_9/depken/index.html - 60k -

http://www.helium.com/knowledge/113806-why-censorship-will-destroy-the-internet

Emily George said...

I really enjoyed your reflection! I completely agree with you. There is a fine line, but I would rather play it safe than sorry. You were right on, childern are innocent and it is our jobs as teaccehrs and parents to protect them!

Amanda Dennison said...

I agree with the mother of the two young boys. On tv, there are blocks that you can put on channels that you don't want your children not seeing, but if they want to get on to certain web sites, all they have to do is simply lie about their age. I think that another probem right now is that most children know more about computers than their parents do, so they know how to hide things that they are doing on one. I'm glad that there are censorship websites online too.