Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ethics in Education Article-- Emily George

The article " Ethics in education" by Jeremy Moss, discusses the use of censorship on the Internet. It gave examples of the things that are now being censored whether it is books, television, or the radio; it also gave examples of case studies where individuals felt that their rights were being violated. The ethics that the article involves relates to whether or not censoring things violates individuals right to freedom of speech and other civil and ethical rights.
I feel that censoring information on the Internet, and all public materials is a good thing. It helps prevent unhealthy and offensive information from reaching individuals in private and also in public places. Schools especially should be censored. There have been many times that I as a student have been researching information on the Internet and the images or information that i stumble upon is extremely offensive and demeaning.
I'm not sure how I feel about censoring private Internet. I think that there are somethings that should be censored regardless if it is private or public. Things such as pornography, and other obscene gestures. Those types of things should never be accessible on the Internet. However, things such detailing historical facts, I don't think should be as closely censored.
Taking the extra precautions to ensure that the Internet is a safe and secure resource is something that I agree with. I think that if it is necessary to censor the Internet then it should be done.

No comments: