Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ethics in education

Censorship is a very sensitive issue for most Americas. We live in a country where our freedoms are cherished and we do not want any of them to be taken away. It goes hand-in -hand with the Bill of Rights and the freedom of speech that the Constitution enables us to have. Once you take one freedom away, there may be an snowball effect where more of our rights could be taken away. Take Prohibition for example; our government tried to take the right of alcohol away, and it did not work. Once you obtain a freedom, it is next to impossible to take it away. We all have freewill to decide what our moral choices will be.
As a mother, it is my choice to censor some of the information that my children come into contact with. It is my moral choice! This holds true for teachers. Teachers should take a proactive role in censorship within their classrooms. For example, if I would give an assignment where my students would have to do research on the Internet, I would give them the appropriate sites that is approved by me and the administration at the school. No other websites would be accepted. We do need to have some type of protection for our children from the trash that is out there and I think that it should happen on the local level (workplace, school, or family). Censorship can be a double-edged sword that can hurt someone if it swings too far in either direction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I agree with your position on censorship. I believe that there is too much out there, especially on the internet, that children should not be exposed to. As a teacher, I also agree that we should protect our students from sites on the internet that are inappropriate.