Thursday, November 6, 2008

Simulations Blog

I tried out KidsPlace when checking out simulations.  This site has a section for educators, students and families.  Students have access to their grade (K-6th).  Students are able to click on a different unit they are learning about, and make more discoveries.  The kindergarten unit allows the student to move a microscope over different objects and have more info read to them. Questions allowing them to click on the correct item are also present.  I like that each unit is simple and DAP.  I think it would be another extra tool to use in the classroom, and especially beneficial for the visual or audio learner.
I also tried out 2nd life by becoming an avatar.  I found a lot of it confusing and not as engaging as I was expecting.   In fact it was boring compared to what else is out there.   I can see how they tried to make it an educational place, but I would not want a child in my classroom exploring it. When I pushed on search at the bottom of the screen to try and change geographical locations, I found disturbing places for a child to visit.  When you clicked on an object you would be given educational info about it or the place you were in, but it was simply boring to learn about.  The designs weren't that stimulating either.   

No comments: