In Seocondlife, a "virtual world", I felt it was a little odd and humorous because you can fly to anywhere you want. I had never done anything like that before and felt uncomfortable talking to a stranger in another world. You as an avatar could explore places that you probably would never go like to Japan or to a museum across the world, but I do not think I would use this in a classroom. Kids could have too much freedom and you could not really monitor what they were doing. You could build a school in Secondlife but every child may not have access to the internet or a computer. I think Secondlife is fine for an individuals free time but not a classroom.
I also explored some simulations; Nation States, Electro City, Discover, and Lemonade Stand. I really enjoyed having a lemonade stand. You were in charge of a lemonade stand for 30 days and you want to try and get as much money as you can in that amount of time. You have complete control over almost every aspect of your business. Including the inventory, pricing, quality control, and purchasing. One thing you do not have control over is the weather and that effects your sales and pricing, because a person is not going to pay the same amount on a cold day as a hot day. It teaches kids to monitor money and inventory and how some conditions change business sales. It is a great tool for math. I had fun playing this game as will many students.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment